Once new migrants in Melbourne Australia try to settle in, they all face Home sickness. As a
new migrant, there are new things for you to adjust to make Melbourne Australia your new
home. It is only natural that you feel Home sick for 6 months at least if not more.  

As soon as you arrive as a new migrant in Melbourne, you will need somewhere to live in; a
Flat or a House.  You might be eligible to get some money from the Government assistance
programs, check for this below. Also, learn about schools, transport and health services.

Consider looking for a job or start your own business. Consider your further education. You
may need help to improve your English. Don't forget, you cannot live alone....you need to
socialise with friends and neighbours. People in Melbourne are usually friendly!
To know where to live, check our Melbourne Suburbs section.

For living cost in Melbourne, check our Living cost section.

For other settling in Melbourne related matters, please check the table below.

This site is useful for new migrants to Melbourne.

Return to living-in-melbourne.com from New Migrants in Melbourne page.
New migrants in Melbourne Australia
Living in Melbourne
Where to live in Melbourne Australia
Melbourne suburbs profile
Where to eat in Melbourne Australia
Cheap Melbourne Hostels
Cheap Flights to Melbourne Australia
Immigration  to Melbourne Australia
New migrants in Melbourne Australia
Find Jobs in Melbourne Australia
Property in Melbourne Australia
Best schools in Melbourne Australia
Cost of Living in Melbourne Australia
Rent apartment or house in Melbourne Australia
Cost of buying furnisher house appliances in Melbourne
Rent home furnisher appliances in Melbourn
List of Universities in Melbourne Australia
Driving in Melbourne Australia
Religion in Melbourne Australia
Melbourne maps
Open a bank account in Melbourne
Time in Melbourne Australia Live Clock
Weather in Melbourne Australia
sitemap of Living in Melbourne Australia
What to Do
Money Issues: Get a Tax File
Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN). To
receive an income in Australia, you need
a Tax File Number (TFN).
Look for your Health:
The Australian Government provides help
with basic medical expenses through a
scheme called Medicare.
Open a Bank Account:
Income including salary or wages and
government benefits are paid directly into
your bank account. You should open a
bank account within six weeks of your
arrival, as you usually need only your
passport as identification. After six weeks
you will need extra identification to open
an account.
Look for a Job:
Centrelink can help you find a job,
arrange for recognition of your skills and
qualifications, and to access certain
courses. Centrelink can also help you with
Family Assistance payments to help with
the cost of raising children.
Enrol Your Children in School:
Under Australian law, children must
attend school until they are 15 years old.
You should enrol your children in a
school as soon as possible.
If you are a permanent resident visa
holder and have a current driver's licence
from another country, in English or with
an official translation, you are allowed to
arrival. After the three months, if you want
to drive, you will need to have the usually
require you to pass a knowledge test, a
practical driving test, and an eyesight
test. In Australia, drivers' licences are
issued by state and territory
New South Wales (Sydney)
Victoria (Melbourne)  
Queensland (Brisbane)
South Australia (Adelaide)
Western Australia (Perth)
Tasmania (Hobart)
Australian Capital Territory (Canberra)